Monday, May 02, 2005

 

Some notes on Behavior Questions - 1

I.
发信人: abcdefgh (确容容), 信区: JobHunting
标 题: Questions: Behavioral Interviewing
发信站: The unknown SPACE (Tue Jan 7 00:41:09 2003) WWW-POST

How will you answer these questions? Try some practice before interview.() are
my answers, any comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Example Behavioral Interview Questions
1. How have you demonstrated initiative? ( Plan something earlier, look
something forward, )
2. How have you motivated yourself to complete an assignment or task that you
did not want to do? ( My current degree. From Air traffic control to computer
Science .)
3. Think about a difficult boss, professor or other person. What made him or
her difficult? How did you successfully interact with this person? ( Job,
family, his personality, your personality, and your communication skill. )
Understand him, work something that he is not anticipating and try to give him
a supprise. ) Try to find out the common interest with him.
4. Think about a complex project or assignment that you have been assigned. What approach did you take to complete it? ( Research it first, ask myself
what, how and why. When these questions are clear, work on it.
5. Tell me about the riskiest decision that you have made. ( Go to America.
The future is bright, but very dangerous since I gave up everything in China.
But I believe I can make it.)
6. Can you tell me about an occasion where you needed to work with a group t
oget a job done? ( lot of team work during the passing three years. I love to
work with other people )
7. Describe when you or a group that you were a part of were in danger of
missing a deadline. What did you do? ( ask the people who can help us and work
day and night. )
8. Tell me about a time when you worked with a person who did things very
differently from you. How did you get the job done? ( start the work with him
earlier, try to understand why this person do this in that way, what is the
advantage and the disadvantage? Discuss more with him. Try to find out a
common solution. )
9. Describe your three greatest accomplishments to date. ( My parents say I
am a good son; My employers say I am a good employee and would like to a friend
of mine; My successful switch from ATC to CS.)
10. Tell me about a situation when you had to learn something new in a short
time. How did you proceed? ( Research and start to work on it. )
11. Can you tell me about a complex problem that you solved? Describe the
process you utilized. ( NS2. A new SSID is introduced. )
12. Tell me about a challenge that you successfully met. ( career switch. )
13. Walk me through a situation where you had to do research and analyze the
results for one of your classes.
14. What leadership positions have you held? Describe your leadership style.
15. Have you generated any new ideas or suggestions while at school or at
work? ( A new air route is introduced when I worked and a ssid field is
introduced in option fields at the TCP header. )
16. Summarize a situation where you successfully persuaded others to do
something or to see your point of view.
17. Give an example of when your persistence had the biggest payoff.
18. Describe a situation where class assignments and work or personal
activities conflicted. How did you prioritize? How did you manage your time?
What was the outcome? ( WHAT is the most important thing in your whole life?
What is the most important thing is your current life? Find out the clear
answer for it and make a decision. )
19. How have you most constructively dealt with disappointment and turned it
into a learning experience? ( consistently summarize my life experience and
write it down, why I disappoint? What cause? How it cause? What is the result
来源:.The unknown SPACE bbs.mit.edu.[FROM: 4.129.]

II.
标 题: Got an offer today and my experiences(3)
发信站: The unknown SPACE (Fri Jan 10 16:30:04 2003), 转信

Before the interview
I got a strange feeling that this was a really good opportunity since my background matches the position, and most important thing, the fact that I was given the on-site interview proves that the manager was interested in my resume. So I will just prove to him that I am at least as good as my resume sounds.

I prepared my resume item by item. For every project on my resume, I reviewed the old materials, assume what kind of questions they might ask as an interviewer. I found some behavior questions from Internet and thought about answers for most typical questions, combined with my own experiences.

I simmulated some Q/A and recorded how I would answer them. Then listen to that and correct what might sound not good. I tried to train myself in this way so that I answer questions in an organized way. First, blah, blah; Second, blah, blah.

Conclusion: the preparation before interview is what you can control best about the interview results. Do the best you can!

来源:.The unknown SPACE bbs.mit.edu.[FROM: 129.79.]

III.
发信人: mrlancelot (跃马檀溪之~刘玄德), 信区: JobHunting
标 题: 我总结的interview问题回答提纲
发信站: Unknown Space - 未名空间 (Sun Jan 30 17:18:42 2005) WWW-POST

要注意的事情:

1. 严禁罗嗦, 所有的答案都要间接直接,不要迂回

2. 在中国人面前不要吹嘘学术,表现要谦虚。在老美老印面前要表现有能力

3. 永远称呼面试人的姓,而不是名字直到人家要求这样做为止。密兹Ms不是密斯Miss

4. 要带的东西,3resume,schedule

5. 千万不要提发表论文毕业,做老师等题目。工业和教育行业选择,虽然phd可以当老
师,但是我喜欢工业的工作。

6. 握手不要太用劲,让别人先握手。不要shifted eyes, tight lipped, furrowed
brow, 僵硬的微笑,傻瓜点头,不要交叉胳膊在身体前面。

7. 摊手表示真诚,要做

8. 不要show sample of your work until asked

9. Assume a submissive role but equal, with respect.

10. 如果高于6万,立刻接受。Is there a criterion

10.永远不要说why not

11.When you Depart:
This has been an exciting meeting for me, this is the job I can do and I feel
I can contribute to your goals because the atmosphere here seems conductive to
doing my very best work. I hope to hear from you soon.

IV.
Tough Questions for Interview
1. What are the reasons for your success in this profession?
1. supervisor,
2. coworker and other faculty members, relationships
3. personality, the last but not the least reason

2. What is your energy level like? Describe a typical day.
I have skill on time management and planning. When I get up I will make a
schedule accordingly and follow it strictly. Energy management with reasonable
flexibility.

3. Why do you want to work here?
1. interest match
2. excellent business reputation
3. I believe you have atmosphere is friendly, encourageous, creative and
productive.

4. What kind of experience do you have for this job?
Mathematical programming, linear and nonlinear, with their algorithms,
simulation theory and software packages (ARENA, Matlab), and experienced
computer skills. I am proficient in MS office, MS windows series, simulation
package, linear programming package CPLEX, non-linear programming software,
GAMS, and statistical software.

5. What have you learned from jobs you have held?
More than anything, I have learned that what is good for the company is good
for me. So listen very carefully to directions and always keep my boss well
informed of my actions.

6. Have you done the best work you are capable of doing?
I am proud of my professional achievements to date, especially for example.
But I believe the best is yet to come. I am always motivated to give my best
efforts, and in this job there are always opportunities to contribute when you
stay alert.

7. How long would it take you to make a contribution to your company?
Ask my responsibility
Get familiar with operation and involved in current project. Then I can begin
use my expertise to make a contribution. Never mention “after I move or
settle down”, 那样泰罗嗦. 直接说和工作有关的,人家不管你搬家和settle down

8. What would you like to be doing five years from now?
get familiar to the industry, apply and polish my skill, team player,
significant contribution.

9. What are your biggest accomplishments?
Although I feel my biggest achievements are still ahead of me, I am proud of
my involvement with… I make my contribution as part of that team and learned
a lot in the process. We did it with hard work, concentration, and an eye for
the bottom line.

10. Can you work under pressure? (Tension?)
Please give me a brief yet comprehensive answer. Yes I usually find it
stimulation. However, I believe in planning and proper management of my time
to reduce panic deadlines within my area of responsibility.

11. Why should I hire you?
I think I am the right person to do the right job in your company. Use
“person”, not “people”. Academic, personality and hard working

12. What can you do for us that someone else can not do?
This question comes only after a full explanation of the job has been given,
End the answer with “I can bring to this job a determination to see projects
through to a proper conclusion. And finally, I understand we are in business
to make a profit, so I keep an eye on cost and return. How do these
qualifications fit your needs?” and respond accordingly.
13. What aspects of your job do you consider most crucial?
Skills on mathematical programming, simulation, as for professional attribute,
I think an employee in this department should be determined and motivated with
time management skills. This is aimed for catching the deadline of projects.

14. What is your greatest strength?
Demonstrate pride, reliability, and the ability to stick with a difficult task
yet change course rapidly when required. “I believe in planning and proper
management of my time. And yet I can still work under pressure.”

15. How do you handle criticize?
Never take the criticize as an offense. Evaluate it and understand it.
Communicate with, exchange idea. Work together. Find a solution.

16. An example you are working as a team member
1. do my job, 2. express my idea without reservation keep an eye on the
feedback of other members make sure it does not mean offense to them. 3.
Efficient communication with other member to make sure our project is on the
right track. 4. Show respect to authority.

17. Show an example to show team player and cooperate with other members
Joint project with university of…….. unavoidable different ideas, time
management and planning. . then we can use the answer of Q15.

18. How do you handle tension?
Tension is caused when you let things pile up. It is usually caused by letting
other areas of responsibility slip by for an extended period. For instance, if
you have a difficult presentation coming up, you may procrastinate in your
preparations for it. I have seen lots of people do things like that, a task
seems so overwhelming they don’t know where to begin. I find that if you
break those overwhelming tasks into little pieces, they are not so
overwhelming any more. So I suppose I don’t so much handle tension as handle
the causes of it, by not letting things slip in other areas that can give rise
to it.

19. In what ways has your job prepared you to take on greater responsibility?
1. polish skill, 2. network with people in our area. 3. harder work
You must tell a story to demonstrates the job growth potential, For example
“Demonstrates not only my growth but also the confidence my management and
ability to perform consistently above standard.”

20. About graduation and available time
I will graduate this summer since I have finished most of my research and the
only thing left is to polish my dissertation and defense it. As for the
available time for this job, I can do it right now, how about tomorrow?If I
got the offer, I can apply OPT immediately since it is not necessary to apply
OPT after graduation because I am a Ph.D. candidate. So I can apply OPT right
now and usually it takes about two weeks to approve. Then I am officially
authorized to work in the United States. Or I can use my CPT up to 1 year and
the approval of CPT only take 1 day in the university.

21. What are your future vocational plans?
My vocational plans are that I want to get ahead. To do that I must be about
to channel my energies and expertise into those areas my industry and employer
need. So in a couple years I hope to have become a thorough professional with
a clear understanding of the company, the industry, and where the biggest
challenges, and therefore opportunities, lie. By that time, my goals for the
future should be sharply defined.

22. What have done that shows initiative and willingness to work?
Tell a story about how you landed or created a job for yourself, or even got
involved in some volunteer work. Your answer should show initiative in that
you both handled unexpected problems calmly and anticipated others. Your
willingness is demonstrated by the ways you overcame obstacles. One more! Don
’t stop when the job is done. Seek a way to move forward. WOSU

23. What area of your skills/professional development do you want to improve
at this time?
These areas are so important that I don’t think anyone can be too good to
should ever stop trying to polish their skills.

24. What is your greatest weakness?
This is a tough question that every hates to talk about his/her weakness when
job interview. Let me tell you an example. This happened to me two years ago.
I had a habit that keep on thinking about some detail on the projects had been
officially closed. This made me not completely concentrate on the current
project and kept on disturbing me. Fortunately, under the guidance with
advisor and coworkers, I have overcame the problem that I left the project
behind my mind and move to the new one. Now I feel comfortable to the shift
between different projects.

25. What kinds of decisions are most difficult for you?

26.What interests you least about this job?
I like this job very much otherwise, I will not apply it. I know as a matter
of fact, all the things have less exciting aspect. For example paperwork is
probably the least interesting part of the job. However, it is important to
the overall success of my department, so I try to do it with a smile. Do not
use the word “filing”, use “paper work”.

27. What about your other interviews
I got a couple of interviews. Though I did not get offer, I really learned a
lot. They said I am over qualified.

28. You have been given a project that requires you to interactive with
different levels with in the company. How do you do this? What levels are you
mode comfortable with?
1. How you interactive with superiors and motivate those working with and for
you on the project. 2. Tell me whom you regard as your peer group-help me
categorize you.
Suggested answer: There are basically two types of people I would interactive
with on a project of this nature, First, there are those I report to, who bear
me the ultimate responsibility for its success. With them, I determine
deadlines and how they will evaluate the success of the project. I outline my
approach, breaking the project down into component parts, getting approval on
both the approach and the cost. I would keep my supervisors up-to-date on a
regular basis, and seek input whenever needed. My supervisors would expect
three things from me: the facts, an analysis of potential problems, and that I
am not intimidated, as that would jeopardize the project’s success. I would
comfortably satisfy those expectations.
The other people to interact with on a project like this are those who work
with and for me. With those people, I would outline the project and explain
how a successful outcome will benefit the company. I would assign the
component parts to those best suited to each, and arrange follow-up times to
assure completion by deadline. My role here would be to facilitate, motivate,
and bring the different personalities together to form a team.
As for comfort level, I find this type of approach enables me to interact
comfortably with all levels and types of people.

29. Tell me about an event that really challenged you. How did you meet the
challenge?
This is a two-part problem. The first probes your problem solving abilities.
The second asks you to set yourself apart from the herd. First of all, outline
the problem. The blacker you make the situation, the better. Having done that,
go ahead and explain your solution, its value to your employer, and how it was
different from other approaches.

30. How have you benefited from your disappointments?
Disappointments are different from failures. I should say that I treat
disappointments as a learning experience; I look at what happened, why it
happened, and how I would do things differently in each stage should the same
set of circumstances appear again. That way, I put disappointment behind me
and ready with renewed vigor and understanding to face the new day’s
problems.
1. analyze possible reasons.
2. solve the problem
3. learn a lesson
4. after all above, put it behind me and don’t make it disturb me for furth
er
success.

31. Do you think you are a born leader?
Hiring, motivating, and disciplining other adults and at the same time molding
them into a cohesive team involves a number of delicately tuned skills that no
honest people can say they were born with. Leadership requires first of all
the desire; then it is a lifetime learning process. Anyone who reckons they
have it all under control and have nothing more to learn isn’t doing the
employer any favors. No matter how well developed any individual’s leadership
qualities, an integral part of the skills of a leader is to take direction
both from his to her immediate boss, and also to seek the input of the people
being supervised. The wise leader will always follow good advice and sound
business judgment wherever it comes from. I would say that given the desire to
be a leader, the true leader in the modern business world must embrace both.

32. Do you plan to be a manager?
I think the most important things for my career path in this company should
concentrate myself on polishing my technical skill and expertise in revenue
management. Secondly, I think I should keep on improving my skill as a
wonderful team player and team leader. Also, I will try to make my career goal
match the company’s goal perfect. Those are the concerns I should work on. If
the administration offers me a higher, what I should do is to try my best to
get the work done.

V.
发信人: rgb (我), 信区: JobHunting
标 题: Sample interview questions
发信站: Unknown Space - 未名空间 (Sun Jan 30 22:21:54 2005) WWW-POST

Q. Tell me about yourself.
A. This is the dreaded, classic, open-ended interview question and likely to
be among the first. It's your chance to introduce your qualifications, good
work habits, etc. Keep it mostly work and career related.

Q. Why do you want to leave your current job? (Why did you leave your last
job?)
A. Be careful with this. Avoid trashing other employers and making statements
like, "I need more money." Instead, make generic statements such as, "It's a
career move."

Q. What are your strengths?
A. Point out your positive attributes related to the job.

Q. What are your weaknesses?
A. Everybody has weaknesses, but don't spend too much time on this one and
keep it work related. Along with a minor weakness or two, try to point out a


couple of weaknesses that the interviewer might see as strengths, such as
sometimes being a little too meticulous about the quality of your work. (Avoid
saying "I work too hard." It's a predictable, common answer.) For every
weakness, offer a strength that compensates for it.

Q. Which adjectives would you use to describe yourself?
A. Answer with positive, work-oriented adjectives, such as conscientious,
hard-working, honest and courteous, plus a brief description or example of why
each fits you well.

Q. What do you know about our company?
A. To answer this one, research the company before you interview.

Q. Why do you want to work for us?
A. Same as above. Research the company before you interview. Avoid the
predictable, such as, "Because it's a great company." Say why you think it's a
great company.

Q. Why should I hire you?
A. Point out your positive attributes related to the job, and the good job
you've done in the past. Include any compliments you've received from
management.

Q. What past accomplishments gave you satisfaction?
A. Briefly describe one to three work projects that made you proud or earned

you pats on the back, promotions, raises, etc. Focus more on achievement than
reward.

Q. What makes you want to work hard?
A. Naturally, material rewards such as perks, salary and benefits come into
play. But again, focus more on achievement and the satisfaction you derive
from it.

Q. What type of work environment do you like best?
A. Tailor your answer to the job. For example, if in doing your job you're
required to lock the lab doors and work alone, then indicate that you enjoy
being a team player when needed, but also enjoy working independently. If
you're required to attend regular project planning and status meetings, then
indicate that you're a strong team player and like being part of a team.

Q. Why do you want this job?
A. To help you answer this and related questions, study the job ad in advanc
e.
But a job ad alone may not be enough, so it's okay to ask questions about the
job while you're answering. Say what attracts you to the job. Avoid the
obvious and meaningless, such as, "I need a job."

Q. How do you handle pressure and stress?
A. This is sort of a double whammy, because you're likely already stressed
from the interview and the interviewer can see if you're handling it well or
not. Everybody feels stress, but the degree varies. Saying that you whine to
your shrink, kick your dog or slam down a fifth of Jack Daniels are not good
answers. Exercising, relaxing with a good book, socializing with friends or
turning stress into productive energy are more along the lines of the
"correct" answers.

Q. Explain how you overcame a major obstacle.
A. The interviewer is likely looking for a particular example of your
problem-solving skills and the pride you show for solving it.

Q. Where do you see yourself five (ten or fifteen) years from now?
A. Explain your career-advancement goals that are in line with the job for
which you are interviewing. Your interviewer is likely more interested in how
he, she or the company will benefit from you achieving your goals than what
you'll get from it, but it goes hand in hand to a large degree. It's not a
But a job ad alone may not be enough, so it's okay to ask questions about the
job while you're answering. Say what attracts you to the job. Avoid the
obvious and meaningless, such as, "I need a job."

Q. How do you handle pressure and stress?
A. This is sort of a double whammy, because you're likely already stressed
from the interview and the interviewer can see if you're handling it well or
not. Everybody feels stress, but the degree varies. Saying that you whine to
your shrink, kick your dog or slam down a fifth of Jack Daniels are not good
answers. Exercising, relaxing with a good book, socializing with friends or
turning stress into productive energy are more along the lines of the
"correct" answers.

Q. Explain how you overcame a major obstacle.
A. The interviewer is likely looking for a particular example of your
problem-solving skills and the pride you show for solving it.

Q. Where do you see yourself five (ten or fifteen) years from now?
A. Explain your career-advancement goals that are in line with the job for
which you are interviewing. Your interviewer is likely more interested in how
he, she or the company will benefit from you achieving your goals than what
you'll get from it, but it goes hand in hand to a large degree. It's not a



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?